Bismarck Public Schools Foundation to award over $30k to deserving seniors in 2022
The Bismarck Public Schools Foundation will award over $30,000 to deserving seniors to further their education. Five new scholarships were developed within the 2021/2022 school year, they are as follows:
- Ardys J Munson/Swanson Scholarship: This $1000 scholarship was developed to honor Ardys J. Munson/Swanson, past English teacher at Bismarck High School. The scholarship will be awarded annually to a BHS senior student interested in teaching and/or journalism with plans to continue their education. Preference will be given to students who plan to attend a post-secondary school in the field of English and/or journalism.
- First in the Family Scholarship: This $1000 scholarship was established by Mylo and Jan Candee and will be awarded annually to graduating seniors from Bismarck Public Schools who will be the first in their family to enroll in a post-secondary college and/or university.
- Jaide Tosseth Memorial Scholarship: This $1500 scholarship was developed by the Tosseth family to memorialize Jaide Tosseth, former LHS student. It will be awarded annually to a female senior at Legacy High School. Candidates must be an active member of a fine arts and athletic program, have no unexcused absences, and a minimum 2.0 GPA during their time at Legacy High School.
- Jan Gilbertson Scholarship: This scholarship was established by her family to honor her impact on the music and theater community in Bismarck. 2-$1000 scholarships will be awarded to graduating seniors from Bismarck Public Schools to continue their post-secondary education. Applicant must showcase meaningful participation in Sleepy Hollow Summer Theater in any capacity along with high school participation in choir, band or orchestra along with a 3.0+ GPA throughout high school.
- Roy Gilbreath Scholarship: Roy Gilbreath is a strong advocate for giving back to this community. This scholarship will be awarded annually to 5 BHS senior students who attended Will-Moore Elementary School for a minimum of two years, showcases a financial need and will be attending a North Dakota trade school, college, or university.
The 2021/2022 BPSF available scholarships are as follows:
- Ardys J Munson/Swanson Memorial Scholarship- 1-$1000 Scholarship
- BHS Scholarship- 1-3 $500 Scholarship(s)
- Brandon Thomsen Memorial Scholarship- 1-$1000 Scholarship*
- Capital Credit Union- Avid Scholar Award- 2-$1000 Scholarships
- CHS Scholarship- 1-2 $500 Scholarship(s)
- Danie Thomssen Memorial Scholarship- 1-$1000 Scholarship
- Diane Sigl Schlosser Scholarship- 2-$1000 Scholarships
- Dixon Wightman Scholarship- 2-$1400 Scholarships*
- First in the Family Scholarship- 1-$1000 Scholarship
- Gloria Sand Memorial Scholarship- $850 Scholarship*
- Jaide Tosseth Memorial Scholarship- 1-$1500 Scholarship
- Jan Gilbertson Scholarship- 1-$1000 Scholarship
- Ken Hendrickson Memorial Scholarship- $950 Scholarship*
- LHS Scholarship- 1-2 $500 Scholarship(s)
- Neil Souther Scholarship- 1-$1000 Scholarship*
- Rose Stoller Scholarship- 1-$1000 Scholarship
- Roy Gilbreath Scholarship- 5-$1000 Scholarships
- Paul & Marion Walz Memorial Scholarship- 1-$450 Scholarship*
- Wold Family Scholarship- 5-$1000 Scholarships
Deadline to apply for these scholarships is April 1st, 2022. BPS graduating seniors are encouraged to review scholarship criteria information and apply by going to bpsfoundation.com/scholarships.
The Bismarck Public Schools Foundation would like to thank all donors who make these scholarships possible. For more information on our scholarships, to establish a new scholarship or donate to an existing scholarship please go to bpsfoundation.com/scholarships.
*Anticipated award amounts showcased; amount awarded may vary slightly.